Saturday 15 January 2011

Gaming Room part 1

Finally, I have made a start on the gaming room. Over the last 6 months or so I've played a fair few games on other people's tables. The one thing I've learned is that the scenery of the table-top battleground can make the biggest difference to a game. It needs to be functional, pleasing on the eye, and convincing(in a caricature sort of way).

I've also learned that tables need to be sturdy! The biggest problem comes from table tops being bigger than the table surface they lay on. Players then lean with their full weight on the overhang, and a full scale (scale - geddit?) earthquake occurs on the battlefield. I've gotten around this by making sure the width of the supporting tables/desk are the full width (a bit more actually) of the gaming surface.

The table consists of:
  • 2 heavy duty desks
  • 6 2x2 feet 10mmthick MDF tiles (from a great seller on Ebay)
  • rubber duck mat pieces to stop the MDF tiles moving
  • the old style Citadel gaming mat (parcel paper with static grass stuck on)
  • various sets of modular scenery tiles
I haven't got all the scenery tiles out of storage yet, so I've just placed a few to see how they would look. I'll post some more pics next week when I've finished everything.

No comments:

Post a Comment