I decided to have a dabble with the Army Painter Quickshade products. I chose "Soft Tone" and "Dark Tone" (at £18 for each!). After checking various websites for examples of miniatures painted using Quickshade, I came to the conclusion that the Soft tone would not be effective on dark colours. So I painted up 4 Empire Pike men in very bright colours as test models. Basically this went something like:
- White undercoat.
- yellow & green for the tunic/pants.
- brown for the pike shaft, boots, straps.
- Chain mail for the breastplate, helmets, pike point.
- Elf flesh for skin.
- Apply good coats of base colour as the quick shade will show up weak coverage.
- Quickshade darkens everything, so use brighter/lighter colours.
- You need to brush away excessive pools of Quickshade that form on the model.
- Thin Quickshade with turps or white spirit - NOT Water.